Spiro & Browne skillfully and aggressively represents a variety of businesses and individuals in pursuing and defending actions involving breach of contract, fraud, breach of fiduciary and statutory duties, and other commercial matters.
Litigation in these areas can be a costly endeavor, so a careful analysis of the risks and benefits of litigation, the ability to recover attorney’s fees, and the client’s goals, are always an integral part of representation. Examples of our experience in these areas include the following:
- Obtained jury verdict in favor of client in real estate ownership dispute, overcoming statute of frauds (which normally requires a written sales contract) and declaring sole ownership of real estate in favor of client, together with judgment for prior rents.
- Petitioned for and successfully obtained in Virginia state court the rare remedy of pretrial attachment of property, securing a source of payment for client in the face of a debtor about to leave the state, before litigation even began.
- Obtained summary judgment in contract, fraud and Virginia Consumer Protection Act case, defeating opponent plaintiff’s claims and obtaining counterclaim judgment against opposing party in addition.
- Successfully resolved complex dispute between corporate client, former employee and competitor involving theft of proprietary information and use of confusingly similar trade names
- Defended and and successfully mediated “business divorce” case involving allegations of breach of fiduciary duty and conspiracy.